It feels like I haven’t updated the blog in ages. I guess six months is a pretty long time in internet years. I’d be lying if I said that I’ve made much progress on translation projects during this extended silence, but things are finally starting to move again.
The main reason for this post is to announce that Tales of Destiny R is no longer on hiatus! Of course, the resumption of the project doesn’t mean that Destiny’s completion is right around the corner or anything. Tales of Phantasia remains the top priority for Phantasian Productions and I’m still distracting myself with several other translation projects as well. (For more information on ToP and ToD2, Cless has given a detailed update on his site.) Cless is currently working on whipping the Destiny script into a format that will make life easy on all of us from the translation stage through the final editing. For my part, I really need to
replay refamiliarize myself with Tales of Destiny before I dive into translating the main script. The menu translation is at a fairly advanced stage, so most of the brute force translation is finished. For me, the script translation typically requires more finesse than the menu and I’m sure Destiny will be no exception. Only time will tell exactly how the project will progress, but for now, I’m thrilled to be able to get it back on its feet.
In other random news:
- Tales of Innocence R looks… okay. I’m interested to see what they do with it. There’s no doubt that Tales of Innocence left a lot of room for improvement. I’m not loving the ToIR battle videos. Looking much too Radiant Mythology for my tastes. I won’t issue final judgement until I actually get to try it for myself, of course. I’ll almost certainly be picking up a Vita regardless.
- Tales of Innocence’s v1.1 patch is increasingly looking like it may meet the ToP v1.1 patch’s fate of eternal purgatory. Is anyone still waiting for an updated ToI patch?
- Tales of Graces’ English localization is supposedly complete. I’m very interested in seeing the results. Personally, the first thing I’m going to do is buy a strategy guide and see what they did with all of the series character names in Carta. Graces is not my favorite game in the series, but with 8-4 on the job, I have high hopes that the localization will allow me to love it in a new way. And, of course, I’m all about supporting the Tales series in any way I can. Everybody get out there and buy it when it’s released!
- Tales of Xillia keeps tempting me, but the recent announcement that content was cut almost surely signals that Xillia R isn’t far off. I’ll probably be holding out for that.
- Skyrim is amazing. I can and did spend pretty much all of my free time playing it since it came out. Looking forward to seeing the modding scene explode when the construction set comes out.
- One Piece is as great as ever. The Hunter X Hunter remake has been excellent so far.
- Friendship is magic.