Cless put up a post on what the post-Phantasia plan is over at Phantasian Productions. Since our joint project with them is Tales of Destiny, I’ll summarize and expand on the relevant news here. Cless’ update can be found at his site and includes info on Narikiri Dungeon and Tales of Destiny 2.
Here’s the the jist with my added commentary:
- ToD and ToD2 share a lot of similarities, so much of the technical work will occur simultaneously on both projects. The tricky part on the translation and editing front, of course, is ensuring that we maintain the necessary consistency between the two.
- Cless is going to work on completing the back-end restructuring for ToD first. The main script and skits are basically done, so the menu and interface will be the focus. It’s easy for a mistake here to cause big problems, so it’s going to take some time and patience to get it right.
- Once the restructuring is complete, we’ll be close to getting the menu patch out. On the translation side of the house, the bulk of the work is done on the menu, but there will likely be some hidden strings and such that have slipped through. That, and I left some of the most painful stuff for last – monster descriptions and story summaries. Once completed, the whole menu will go through some kind of editing process. It will probably have to be edited again for the final patch too. That’s just how it goes.
- People here are probably used to it, but we’re going to do blog post type updates rather than small incremental ones. You guys know how it goes. When there’s something worth sharing, we’ll share it. If I have translation-specific commentary to add, I’ll do my own updates and if Cless wants to share some of what’s going on with the programming, he’ll do that. Like any project, there will be some lengthy periods of silence at some point. Don’t panic.
- We’re not going to guess at release dates ahead of time. When we can set a firm deadline, we will, but otherwise we ask for your patience as we balance the project with life.